Tips from our Team is series of short blog posts where members of our team share advice for job seekers and employers within the digital marketing and creative space. This month’s edition comes from Raegan Hill, Director of Staffing for our Houston, TX office. Raegan was Program Chair on the Board of Directors for the Houston Interactive Marketing Association from 2007-2010 and is currently the Houston spokesperson for The CMO Club, a global organization with over 700 corporate CMO members. She is known for her LinkedIn expertise and when she’s not busy connecting with members, you can find her networking with some of the most talented digital marketing and creative professionals in Houston.
Job Seeker Tips
- Embed your contact information into the summary area of your LinkedIn Profile so that those who want to reach you outside of your network can do so. It’s so frustrating when I see a great graphic designer or marketer on LinkedIn, but I’m out of InMails and have no way to directly reach out to them.
- Use voicemail as a marketing tool. If done right, voicemail is great for branding yourself into the minds of hiring managers who may not have an opening for you now, but could in the near future.
- Come prepared for the conversation when you speak with a Recruiter. They are hired to present the best talent the market offers – they need to know what you’re great at and are often working against the clock!
- Move fast. It’s a candidate’s market again and candidates are getting multiple offers.
- Always interview at least one “wild-card” i.e., a candidate that may not be exactly “on paper” what you’re looking for, but your gut says they have the aptitude and potential to do the job.
- Rather than a cover letter, ask your top candidates to do a “You Want/I Have” or “Skills Comparison” cover letter. Ask them to identify what they have accomplished/performed and include the duties of a specific requirement, then put it into a template.
If you’re in need of digital marketing, creative or technology talent in the Houston market, connect with Raegan on Twitter @RaeganHill or give her or a member of our Houston team a call at 855.834.1728. Job seekers can search our nationwide jobs to see what’s available and employers looking for talent can submit a request to their local market.